What can be a more comforting meal than a big, saucy, CHEESY, plate of pasta. In this dish, I am showing you how to make a delicious tangy tomato sauce from scratch that will make any Italian nona proud. The dish is baked and the cheese becomes this beautiful, gooey, stringy companion to the sauce. This is a big hearty meal that should be enjoyed with a nap afterwards. Try yours today!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Bake Time: 35 Minutes
1 package of tortellini
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 plump Roma or plum tomatoes, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of pesto
2 tablespoons of roasted red pepper paste
¼ cup of chopped parsley
1-pound ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced ¼ thick or crumbled, based on your preference
½ cup grated parmesan cheese or pecorino romano
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the tortellini to package instructions and strain. Set aside until it is time to bake
- Time to make the sauce!
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the garlic in olive oil until it becomes fragrant. Then add the diced tomatoes and continue to sauté until both the tomatoes and garlic soften
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and stir
- Add the salt, pepper, red chili flakes, and sugar and stir until they are blended into the sauce. Bring to boil, and then lower the heat to bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes
- Add the pesto and roasted red pepper paste and stir until it is blended. Then add the parsley and stir one last time. Shut the heat off and set the sauce aside.
- In a baking pan or dish, cover the base with a thin layer of sauce. Add half the tortellini amount and cover with sauce. Sprinkle some of the grated parmesan or pecorino romano across the sauce covered tortellini. Evenly place mozzarella slices across the top of the tortellini. Cover with sauce again and sprinkle more of the grated cheese
- Add the remaining tortellini and repeat the sauce and cheese cover process
- Place in the oven and cook for 35 minutes or until the cheese has become golden brown and the sauce is bubbling
- Let it cool for 5 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!