On rainy, chilly days there is nothing more warming and cozy that a nice soup. The added benefit of this soup is that it uses cheesy tortellini to accompany the homemade chicken broth. Soup and pasta, what a cozy combination?! The best part of making your own chicken broth is that you forgo the added sodium and preservatives that are found in the canned variety. This soup is a knockout meal. Try yours today!
Prep Time: 15 minutes (2 hours if preparing chicken broth from scratch)
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 package of tortellini
1 large, bone in chicken breast, cleaned of skin and excess fat
2 small chicken strips, chopped
1 large carrot, diced finely
2 large celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
¼ cup chopped parsley
Crushed red chili flakes
- First prepare the chicken stock.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the chicken breast together with a large sprinkle of salt and add water until it covers the breast. Bring to a boil over a medium high heat, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for at least two hours until the chicken gets cooked and the broth forms. Remove the chicken and pick the meat off the bone. Set aside the meat and stock
- In a larger pot, add the carrots and celery and sauté in olive oil over a medium heat until they begin to soften. Once they begin to soften, add the onions and begin cooking until the onions become translucent. Season with salt, pepper, and the red chili flakes
- Add the diced chicken strips and cook until they begin to brown on all sides. Then add the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the rest of the chicken and stir.
- Cook for about 15 minutes and then add the tomatoes and the tortellini. Cook for another 5 minutes then add the parsley and stir
- Serve and enjoy!