One of my favorite meals to eat either at home or out is Butter Chicken. Punjabi Indian by origin, it is enjoyed the world over. For my recipe, I decided to pair the savory, spicy butter chicken with sweet, sticky coconut rice. The combination makes for a delectable meal that make it enjoyable even the following few days, if there are any leftovers left.
Prep Time: 1.5 hours
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
3 large chicken breasts, cleaned and cubed
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 ½ cups of Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves minced
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 tablespoons of freshly shaved ginger
2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon tomato paste
½ cup of chicken stock
½ cup heavy cream
4 cups jasmine rice
3 cup water
2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
For the chicken:
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, cumin and turmeric and add the chicken. Refrigerate for an hour so the chicken can marinate
- In a semi-deep pan or Dutch oven, add the butter and oil and cook the onions until they become translucent
- Then add the garlic, ginger, and cook until the onions brown.
- Add the jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt to taste. Cook until the jalapeno softens and the tomatoes become mushy
- Add the chicken with the marinade and the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a medium low setting and let it simmer for half an hour
- Add the tomato paste and cream and stir it in. Cook for another 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through
- Let simmer on a low heat while you prepare the rice
- *Tip* If it tastes too acidic due to the tomatoes, add some sugar, until it reaches desired taste and it is not too acidic
For the rice:
- Add the water, coconut milk, rice, and a pinch of kosher salt to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, lower the setting to a medium-low and let simmer. Cover the pot.
- Let cook for 15 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked through, let it sit, fluff it and shut the heat off.
- Add the rice to a place and top off with the butter chicken. Garnish it with the cilantro leaves and enjoy.