Although not a complete meal, I could eat biscuits at any time and consider them one, especially when fresh and warm out of the oven. I could even use them to make a sandwich. Biscuits can be make with any stuffing or enjoyed plain and make a great side dishes to larger scale dinners. They are a lot easier to make than people think and taste tons better than using any canned, pre-made product.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
4 cups of unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 sticks of butter, cold
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 jalapenos, diced
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
2 ½ cups of buttermilk
1 egg yolk
- Using a cheese grater, shred the butter into a small bowl and set it aside
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, baking soda and powder and mix
- Add the butter and using two forks mix and fold over the dry ingredients until they begin to look like coarse crumbs
- Using the forks, push the mixture aside leaving a hole in the mixture. Add the buttermilk, cheese, and peppers.
- Push the mixture into the buttermilk and mix and fold over using the forks until the buttermilk is absorbed and the mixture become doughy and crumbly
- Empty the mixture from the bowl onto a flat surface and pack it close together without pushing it down with force
- Using a rolling pin, softly flatten out the dough mixture until it is about ½ inch in height. Fold it over itself and flatten out again
- Flatten to where it’s about 1 inch in height.
- Using a biscuit cutter, push down on the dough to mark cut out the biscuits. Place them on a parchment paper lined baking tray a few millimeters apart from one another
- Pack the remaining dough together and repeat the process until there is no more dough left
- Place the baking tray in the fridge and let it cool for a few. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Beat the egg yolk to create an egg wash, feel free to add a few drops of water to make it runny.
- When the oven has heated, take the biscuits out of the fridge and using a brush, coat the top of them with the egg wash
- Place them in the oven and bake for 35 minutes
- Let them cool down and enjoy warm