What could be better than a meal involving rice? How about one that is loaded with seafood and is packed with flavor. The paella is a famous Spanish dish that is favorited the world over. The combination of the fresh shellfish combined with the spicyness of the chorizo leave a symphony of flavor in your mouth that will make you savor for more. This entree is prepared in large pans meant to be shared amongst groups of people and over a nice conversation and bottle of wine.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ a chopped yellow onion
2 cloves minced fresh garlic
16 ounce package of rice
3 pinches of saffron
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 large diced tomatoes
½ pound of shrimp
½ pound of mussels
½ pound of smoked chorizo (can substitute andouille sausage)
3 cups of stock (either fish or chicken)
½ cup of water
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (for use as garnish after meal is cooked)
- This requires a special piece of equipment, the paella pan. If you do not have one you can use a large cast iron skillet.
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions until they start becoming translucent over a medium-high heat, about 3 minutes
- Add garlic, chorizo and rice and mix and let it crisp up for a few
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle saffron and add the stock to the mixture, stir
- Add spices, tomatoes
- Lower the heat to a low setting and let the paella simmer for 25 minutes covered. Stir.
- Add the half cup of water
- Add the shellfish, stir into rice and let simmer covered for fifteen more minutes.
- Do not stir anymore, let it sit and cook
- Add the chopped parsley on top, plate, and enjoy
Leave a Reply